Teenage Girl Awakens To Find Her Smartphone Smouldering Under Her Pillow Burning Her Bed


It’s becoming increasingly common for people in our ultra-connected society to sleep with their smartphones next to them or even under their pillows.

Texan Ariel Tolfree recently learned the consequences of doing just that.

The 13-year-old girl was recently awoken by her Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone smoldering silently but pungently under her pillow.

samsung

She told KDFW she placed the phone under the pillow before she fell asleep. Later that night, she smelled something burning.

‘I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep and then I woke up again and it was more prominent,’ Tolfree said.

Under her pillow, she discovered her phone charred and partially melted. Her sheets, mattress and pillow were also scorched.

samsung_2

Her father said the phone must have overheated, causing the battery to swell and start a small fire.

A spokesperson for Samsung told the Fox affiliate that the battery inside the phone was a replacement unit and not an original Samsung battery.

Samsung cautions in its ‘Common Phone’ warranty guide on its website that third-party batteries shouldn’t be used and also specifically warns in the phone’s manual against covering the device with bedding or anything. It could cause a fire, it states.

Below a picture of the charred and melted battery.

samsung_3

‘If anything, they should put a big warning on it, like a cigarette label, if that’s the case,’ Thomas Tolfree, the girl’s father, said.

Samsung said they take any instance of a battery fire ‘very seriously’ and requested that the phone be mailed to the company for a full investigation.

The company has offered to replace the phone, the bedding, the mattress and pillow.

Ht:Daily Mail


Like it? Share with your friends!

67 SHARES
0
67 SHARES, 0 points

log in

Become a part of our community!

Captcha!
Don't have an account?
sign up

reset password

Back to
log in

sign up

Captcha!
Back to
log in
Choose A Format
Story
Meme
Video
Image