2 Yr-Old Girl Dies after putting a mobile phone charger in her mouth while it was plugged into wall


19 shares

A two-year-old girl has died after putting a phone charging cable into her mouth. 

The child, named Shevar, was at her grandparents house in the village of Jahangirabad, near Delhi in India when the incident took place.

The girl’s mother, named as Razia, left the girl to play for a short time on Saturday, with the charger plugged in nearby.

Someone else in the family has been using it, but had unplugged their phone, leaving the power turned on.

The little girl put the cable into her mouth, causing her to be electrocuted.

Akhilesh Pradhan, of Jahangirabad police station, told the Times of India: “The family has not approached us with any police complaint, so a case has not been filed.

“However, if somebody approaches us for a complaint, it will be done according to the norms.”

Although smart phone chargers are not usually thought to carry enough voltage to harm you if you put it in your mouth, keeping them away from children is always advised.

File photo of a power socket in India. Credit: Creative Commons


File photo of a power socket in India. Credit: Creative Commons

Experts say the likelihood of someone being electrocuted by a smartphone, even while the device is charging, is very, very low. Chargers generally have a transformer built in to the plug, meaning they have a very low output.

However, if the plug is faulty, or if the charger has exposed wires, it is important not to use them. Experts recommend only using high quality electrical equipment from the recommended manufacturer for your device.

The story comes after another recent incident that took place in Thailand.

A factory worker was found dead after being electrocuted while charging his phone and using earphones at the same time.

Kritsada Supol, 24, had laid down in bed with his phone plugged into an extension power point using a cheap charging cable.

The phone was plugged into a charging point with a cheap charger. Credit: Viral Press


The phone was plugged into a charging point with a cheap charger. Credit: Viral Press

It is said that he had been listening to music or talking to someone as the mic section of the earphones was resting over his lips.

Police Captain Jaleuk Polthong said police believe that Kritsada was fatally electrocuted while using the earphones and charging his smartphone at the same time.

The captain said: ”We believe a short circuit caused his death while he was on the phone with someone or he was listening to music.”

Officers blamed a poor quality charger for the death, with Captain Polthong adding: ”Many people could be in danger if they use cheap charging adapters which are not manufactured from the authorised company.”

Featured Image Credit: Pexels


Like it? Share with your friends!

19 shares
Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Poll
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Story
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
List
The Classic Internet Listicles
Countdown
The Classic Internet Countdowns
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Meme
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Video
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Audio
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Image
Photo or GIF
Gif
GIF format