“Here is where sh*t gets real friends.
I’m done keeping my mouth shut.
This isn’t a report coming out of China.
This isn’t about Italy.
This is about rural Pennsylvania, and what has been scary headlines on the news up until now has evolved into my own personal living nightmare.
When I called the ER about Cayden and told them we have had a possible Covid-19 exposure and that he is in respiratory distress and I just wanted to give them a heads up that we were on our way, the charge nurse instructed me NOT to come to the ER. She told me to call the CDC and maybe they could send an ambulance to our house to check him out.
(Listen, I treat sick babies in the ER all the time. I don’t bring mine in unless he absolutely needs treatment! Especially now!) Has anyone tried caling the CDC lately? I called them yesterday and waited on hold for TWO HOURS to finally get to talk to someone who was NOT a medical professional so they were just able to instruct me on current guidelines. ALL WHILE MY CHILD WAS STRUGGLING TO BREATHE.
My baby could not be admitted at the hospital he was seen at this evening (the ER I work in, where he did receive great care) because they did not have a negative pressure room on the peds floor. (Also – side note – our ER did not test him for Covid-19. Regardless of what the news says, we have not tested a single patient at this point because we have to call a hotline and every single time they say they ‘don’t meet criteria.’)
Cayden’s doctor felt he needed to be observed overnight and called the ER again, who REFUSED direct admission despite the doctor’s assessment. My husband is now driving my sick baby an hour away to another hospital to be evaluated all over again IN THE ER, and even then, they made it clear it wasn’t certain that he would be admitted. He is not hypoxic (his o2 has been 94%) but he is still retracting, tachypneic (breathing fast), tachycardia (heart rate in the high 160s even while sleeping and without fever), and still retracting (you can see their sternum and ribs when they’re breathing this hard). In fact, retracting enough that they decided to transfer him by AMBULANCE to the other ER, to be ASSESSED again, but not necessarily admitted. What in the ever loving F#*^?!
We have had possible Covid-19 exposure and even though he is positive for flu A, it’s not impossible to have another virus – and bilateral pneumonia has been a common radiology finding with Covid-19. You don’t take risks with sick little babies! Also ‘it’s just like the flu’ – folks now you see how sick people can get even with just the flu! Now we are adding Covid-19 on top of that and we have absolute catastrophe.
This is just the beginning and it could have just as easily been your child. Even if he doesn’t have Covid-19, it’s dramatically impacting his access to care! WE ARE NOT READY.