A heartbroken mom is warning parents to stop others kissing their infants after a tragedy struck her family.
Oarlah was only six months old when she was rushed to hospital with fears that she could go blind.
Her mom Hollie is now warning about the dangers of kissing newborns after her baby contracted the virus Herpes.
Most of little Oarlah’s body was covered in angry red sores and spots and there was a fear that she could go blind.
“When I saw those, I was filled with horror. I knew she could be blinded because of it.”
“The thought of her losing her sight was just devastating.”
The spots had entered her left eye which was swollen as doctors raced to reduce the swelling and save her eyesight. Thankfully after 24 hours the swelling was reduced.
Herpes is a virus causing contagious sores which Oarlah contracted despite her mom imposing a kissing ban. Some people carry it and show no symptoms.
Hollie said: “I was horrified. People thought I was paranoid when I said I didn’t want anyone kissing Oarlah but I’d seen what it could do.
“I couldn’t help myself and I kissed her on the forehead when she was born, but then I banned all her visitors from kissing her.
“I tried to protect her and she still got this horrible virus but the doctors told us that it could also be transferred on the hands too.”
Hollie says Oarlah, now 15 months, has made a full recovery, but said she still doesn’t let anyone kiss her.
It’s so important to take precautions when it comes to being around babies who are vulnerable to sickness and disease.
Always thoroughly wash your hands, even if you’re only going to be holding a baby for a moment. It could be the difference between life and death.
Please share to warn others; all parents should know the warning signs and get their babies to hospital immediately if they’re concerned.