Popular Toothpaste Killed My 11-yr-old Daughter-mom warns others

A mom is mourning the death of her daughter after the 11-year-old passed away from an allergic reaction from an unlikely source: toothpaste.

Monique Altamirano, the mother of the deceased child, is now warning other parents about the hidden dangers of special products like the one her daughter, Denise Saldate, was recommended.

The mother was always very careful about thoroughly checking ingredient lists for dairy ingredients: her daughter had a severe allergy to dairy that could send her into anaphylaxis. While Monique was diligent about food products, she didn’t think about checking her daughter’s new toothpaste.

The toothpaste, MI Paste One, was recommended to Denise to help strengthen her tooth enamel. Monique never thought that there could be dairy products in toothpaste, and didn’t notice the warning on the label that the medicated toothpaste contains Recaldent, which is taken from a protein found in cow’s milk, according to People.

The mom recounts the horrifying scene: as soon as her daughter started brushing her teeth with her new special toothpaste, she lost the ability to breathe.

“She said, ‘I think I’m having an allergic reaction to the toothpaste,’ and her lips were already blue,” says Monique. “I picked her up and put her on my bed. I ran to the living room,told my daughter – ‘Call 911!’ – and I grabbed the EpiPen.” She administered it, and also gave Denise her asthma inhaler.

“She was saying, ‘Mommy, I can’t breathe.’ I was saying, ‘I love you, yes, you can ….”

The mom gave her daughter chest compressions, but Denise passed away from the allergic reaction two days later.

The sample toothpaste contained a milk base product unbeknownst to anyone! Denise was without oxygen for 35 minutes. After failing her apnea testing three times over a 72 hour period, little Denise was removed from life support. Denise lives on in others through organ donation. She donated her heart to a 9 year old child, lungs, liver & kidneys.

Now, the mom has a warning for all parents:

Her family implores those who are aware to share their knowledge and to inform those who are unfamiliar with anaphylaxis of the seriousness of this condition. They hope that in sharing her story, families, caregivers, school staff, and people in general will take this condition more seriously and that all items will be checked for ingredients, even those that may seem irrelevant.

Read everything. Don’t get comfortable, just because you’ve been managing for several years. You can’t get comfortable or be embarrassed or afraid to ask and ensure that ingredients are OK. Be that advocate for your child.

Please share if you think other parents and caregivers could use this sad reminder about the hidden dangers of common products. 

Like it? Share with your friends!

Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
The Classic Internet Listicles
The Classic Internet Countdowns
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Photo or GIF
GIF format