You may remember the shock last year when parents discovered mold in their “Tommee Tippee Sippee” cups, leaving parents everywhere including myself horrified. This week Good House Keeping broke the story about our much loved Sophie the Giraffe having the same issue. If you’re like me I bought into the whole hype of the ‘must have’ toy and now I’m horrified by what my baby has been chewing into, a cesspool of extremely harmful bacteria.
As a pediatric dentist, Dana Chianese recommends teething toys to parents every single day, including Sophie the Giraffe (which her two boys under the age of three prefer), but not anymore. A month ago she decided to clean the toy and noticed the air coming out of the hole smelled musty. “I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside,” Chianese told Goodhousekeeping.com. “Smelly, ugly mold living in my infant’s favorite chew toy!”
Chianese says she always cleaned the toy according to instructions, using hot, soapy water with a damp sponge and never submerging it into water. “It still hurts my heart to know that for months I allowed my babies to chew on moldy toys,” she says. “I no longer buy any chew toys with a hole or recommend any to my patients.”
And it seems she’s not the only one: On Amazon, one reviewer tried to alert others to what she found when she cut the legs off of her child’s teething toy and even shared a picture for proof: “Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you’ll end up with mold!” says Amazon user Stephanie Opera. “We’ve had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!”